Thursday, September 20, 2007

Thing 15

The future of libraries - this is important to me! My LATI experience included a look at this topic, and working on my "23 Things" has provided an opportunity to revisit it. While I often cling to the old, I was interested in the "Away from Icebergs" article, and did agreed with a lot of what it stated. As a cerified pack rat, I lean toward saving "just in case," but do understand that updated information online can be superior to dated, print material. An acception, in my opinion, is illustrations which have a much different look and feel in hand. I particularly agreed with the point about eliminating barriers between patrons and the information. I think it is critical to make finding information through the library's resources user friendly. Placing library services in the users' preferred environment, which I presume means on their laptops, makes sense in many cases for reference purposes, but I hope children's services continue to serve the youngest patrons IN the library to encourage the joy of sharing books in person.

No comments: